Northwest Oklahoma Territory
"M" (Woods) County Pioneers
Information from the 1904 Souvenir Edition - of the Alva Pioneer, Friday, Jan. 1, 1904, Vol. 11, No. 16, by W. F. Hatfield, Alva, Woods Co., Oklahoma. W. F. Hatfield, Publisher Daily and Weekly Pioneer editor, sold the "Souvenir Edition" in 1904 for 50-Cents. It was printed to celebrate Alva's tenth anniversary since the opening of 1893.
Rev. A. Connet --
He was born in Green County, Pennsylvania, Oct. 17, 1834. He was ordained in Southern Indiana, Oct. 20, 1861. He came from near Dwight, Morris county, Kansas, to Alva and preached his first sermon, Sept. 24 (1893), the second Sunday after the opening, in C. W. Hobbie's new store building. He assisted in the collection of funds for the Union church, and with his own hands assisted in its erection. In it he conducted thanksgiving services on Thanksgiving day, 1893. The church was commenced on Monday and the services were held in it on Thursday of the same week. Mr. Connet married at his home one block south of the center of the square, the first couple, Mr. and Mrs. E. G. McIntire, that were married in the county, on Christmas day, 1903. W. F. Hatfield and wife witnessed the ceremony. Connet also organized the first church at Alva, the Congregational church, Saturday, Dec. 30, 1893. In 1894 he and S. L. Johnson secured the Olivet Congregational church building at Wichita, Kansas, which was taken down, moved to Alva and erected where it now stands. R. M. Davis, assited by several other carpenters, doing the carenter work. The church was dedicated May 12, 1895. In the autumn of the same year Mr. Connet resigned, leaving the church with a membership of 25. he moved with his family to western Woodward county, where they lived near Murray postoffice. Rev. Connet was an untiring worker for Christianity.
Rev. S. J. Malone --
The pastor of the Congregational church was a native of Peoria, Illinois. he was of Scotch Irish parentage. In 1904 he was 38 years of age and had been publicly connected with religious work since 19 years of age. he had been engaged in City Missionary and young Men's Christian Associations work in Peoria and Chicago, and in Evangelistic work in Illinois and Iowa. he had been in the regular Pastoral work of 12 years. He was a graduate of the high school and had taken two years special studies in Eureka College, and had also had special work from Moody Bible Institute, Chicago. Rev. Malone had only been in Alva a short time, but his energy and earnestness in church work was already recognized.
A. C. Grimes --
Grimes was a native of Tennessee. He came west around 1888 and made the run into the strip from the Kansas line north of Pond Creek. He and Gilbert Nearson were the first men into that town with a team and buggy. Mr. Grimes came to Alva, Oct. 15, 1893, and selected his farm four miles north of town, which is one of the best watered and finest fruit farms in Woods county. In Sept. 1894, he wrote out the heading for the first "Free Homes" petition ever started in Oklahoma. The Pioneer printed the heading on long sheets of paper and they were placed in the hands of all postmasters and many other people in the county. Thousands signed them and they were later sent to Washington, D.C. Mr. Grimes held several public offices, the last being county commissioner from September 1, 1894 to January 10, 1895.
E. C. Stone & W. T. Peoples --
Messrs Stone and Peoples were carpenters. They built the Presbyterian church and several of the splendid residences of Alva. They came to the Woods county area around 1900.
M. G. Emmert --
Emmert was the manager of the Gloyd Lumber yard, one of the first started in the city of Alva. Mr. Emmert arrived in Woods county around 1902.
Hugh Donnan --
The Photographer - native of South Carolina. he came to Alva in April, 1901. he was an excellent workman and had built up a nice picture business in Alva. His photos were always strictly up-to-date and were unexcelled by photos made anywhere. At least three-fifths of the photos in the Alva Pioneer souvenir edition were made by him. His big Studio was on the southwest corner of the square was fitted up in the latest style, with all the modern fixtures, machinery and apparatus. The Donnan Studio boasted that you could not leave an order for anything photographic at their studio that will not be filled on short notice, and guaranteed satisfactory.
Lute Weld --
Weld was a student of Normal, who had been out working in the harvest field during vacation. he was caught in town and run in by other students who wanted a picture of a"seed," and photographed by Hugh Donnan. Lute was a jolly good fellow. he graduated at teh N.T. N. with the class of 1903, and was a guard at the World's Fair, St. Louis, Mo.
R. S. Smedley & Mrs. R. S. Smedley --
Evanelists for the Christian Church in Western Oklahoma. They had done a great deal of good, lasting work in woods and adjoining counties. During the first three months of 1901, they organized congregations at Cleo, Aline and near Ingersoll. During July, 1901, Elder Smedley preached for the membership in Alva. Since that time he had been the prime factor in building church houses in this county at Aline, Ingersoll, Cherokee, Ringwood, Prairie Chapel four miles north of Carmen, and Ashley. They worked in the counties south and west of Woods, building churches at Mutual, Lenora, Seiling, Taloga and Oleta. Mr. Smedley preached and Mrs. Smedley lead the singing.
F. G. Munson --
Assistant Cashier in the First National Bank.
J. H. Hudson, Jr. --
Clerk in the First National Bank.
W. R. Frazier --
Clerk in the First National Bank.
John W. Bishop --
Postmaster at Cleo, also editor of the Cleo Chieftain which he had been publishing in 1904 for nearly nine years.
Eugene Carter --
Clerk in the First National Bank.
Earl Rumsey --
Clerk in the Alva National Bank.
Lee Noah --
Law student in the office of his father, H. A. Noah.
F. Hageman --
Alva manager for the southwestern telephone company.
J. T. Hiatt --
Bookkeeper in Harbaugh's grain and coal office.
T. M. Hess --
Native of Iowa, but raised in Kansas. Hess came to Alva at the opening and secured a farm adjoining the town west. Hess was always boosting for Alva. He partner in firm of Hess & Gamble druggists.
F. W. Hanford --
He was a native of Micigan. Hanford lived in Kansas several years. He came to Alva soon after the opening and engaged in the hardware business, which he continued in as of 1904. He was always in the push for Alva and woods county.
Geo. S. Parker --
Parker was a native of Missouri. He came to Alva at the opening and engaged in the real estate business. He bought, sold, traded and exchanged land and livestock.
C. C.Share --
Share was a native of Michigan, but engaged in the mercantile business at Harper, Kansas, for several years. He moved his stock of goods to Alva in 1901 and consolidated it with that of S. B. Share & Bros' department store and had been cashier of that big institution in 1904. He was also in the class of Woods County progressive citizens.
E. A. Haines --
Haines was a native of Indiana. He was acclimated in Kansas and came to Alva in 1899 and engaged in the clothing business, which had grown with the town. He always did his best to keep the "bandwagon" moving ahead.
E. L. Drake --
Drake was a native of New York, and served one year 1862 in the 142d N.Y. Vol. Infantry., and was sent home on account of poor health. Drake lived in Michigan, Iowa and Kansas, coming from the latter state to this county September 16, 1893, and settling near Byron. He was elected county clerk 1898 and served two years. In 1904 he was in the loan business.
J. T. Fryer --
Fryer was a native of Missouri. He came to Alva, September 15, 1893, and got the farm adjoining town southwest, now the college site and grounds and the main residence section. He came to the aid of Alva's commercial club and deeded 40 acres to Oklahoma, for the Normal college, with the agreement with H. C. McGrath that he should restore 20 acres or its equivalent. Both of these men were the right kind of friends of Alva at the right time.
J. W. Monfort --
Monfort was a native of Missouri and lived in Kansas a few years, coming from Elk City to Alva and engaging in the drug business November 30, 1894, in the present location on the nw corner of Barnes & College Avenue. Alva never had a more willing or substantial friend than J. W. Monfort, and he had been one of the leading members of the commercial club ever since it was organized.
H. A. Noah --
Noah was a native of Massachusetts. He served several years in the US Navy. He came west in the early 1880s and settled in Medicine Lodge, Ks., and came to Alva September 16, 1893. He opened a law office and built up a large practice. Mr. Noah was one of the original members of the commercial club, and drafted the bill locating the Normal college to Alva. Noah was always into everything for the good of Alva.
W. D. Wilkinson --
In 1904 Alva didn't know what state he was a native of, but they did know that he came to Alva from Ellinwood, Kansas, at which place he was postmaster four years. The confinement of office work impaired his health and he engaged in farming on his fine half section, five miles northeast of Alva. He was the Democratic nominee for territorial councilman in 1902. The Alva Pioneer souvenir edition dated 1904 stated, "His splendid ability will yet be rewarded by the people."
P. C. Emberson --
He was a native of Indiana. he came to this country at the opening and farmed a few years. He sold his farm and moved to Alva and engaged in buying and shipping broom corn, grain and livestock, and was still at it in 1904.
J. O. Matthews --
Matthews was a native of Indiana, but lived in the west several years. He came to Alva, September 16, 1893, and was the first man to get off the train that day on this side of the river. He landed on the lot where Geo. McNeeley's house once stood. He recorded names of witnesses and left on the next train. When he came back on the day townsite office opened he found the lot occupied, filed a contest and afterwards sold it for $10. He was station agent in Alva for the C. O. & G. Railroad.
S.J. Waugh --
He was a native of Indiana. He got initiated into western ways in Kansas, and came to Alva in 1901 as manager of the Amsden Lumber yard, which was located in Alva early in 1894. Mr. Waugh once said in talking with the auditor of the Amsden Company, he learned that it had never been necessary to sue a person or file a lien on a building to get a settlement and they had a first class opinion of the people of Alva and vicinity.
J. P. Reed --
He was a native of Ohio. He came to Harper, Kansas, several years ago before 1904 and engaged in business. He came to Alva at the opening but didn't stay long and returned to Kansas. he came back here in 1896 and bought a farm near town south, and also went into the poultry and produce business. He had the finest orchard and vineyard around Alva, and continued to plant in 1904.
H. G. Hackney --
Native of Illinois. He came to the strip at the opening and to Alva in 1900 as a member of the Alva Roller Mills Co, and superintendent in the mill's construction. He had proved a valuable addition to the general interests of the city, and was with the Push crowd.
J. B. Cheadle --
He was a native of Ohio, but grew up in Michigan and Kansas. He was a graduate of the Academic and Law departments of theh University of Kansas. He came to this county at the opening and to Alva in 1901 and opened a law office. In 1904 he was a partner of County Attorney Luther Martin.
H. H. Makemson --
He was a native of Indiana. Naturalized in Kansas, he came to Alva in 1899 and with A. A. Hughes engaged in the mercantile business, which had grown steadily and in 1904 was merged into the Snyder Makemson Mercantile co. under a territorial charter.
A. A. Hughes --
Hughes was a native of Kansas. He came from Emporia to Alva, in 1899 and entered the mercantile business with H. H. Makemson and opend the "Cash Store," which they conducted successfully, and in 1904 was consolidated with G. W. Snyder's Department store. Mr. Hughes retaining his stock in the new concern.
L. A. Westfall --
He was a native of Michigan, but grew up in Kansas. He came with his parents to this county, September 16, 1893. He came to Alva, 1899 as clerk of Woods County Bank and afterward was made cashier, which place he held until the bank was sold in 1904. In 1904 he was cashier fo the new Bank of Commerce.
W. S. McKown --
native of Ohio. He came to this county at the opening and secured a farm southeast of Alva. He was office clerk for the sheriff in 1899. He sold his farm and went to Hobart in 1901. He returned to Alva in the spring of 1903 and opened the Exchange Notion and Shoe Store.
B. F. Barnett --
He was a native of Indiana. He came to Augusta, Woods county, in 1900, and engaged in the practice of law. He was democratic nominee for county attorney in 1902, and that fall moved to Alva and formed a partnership with City Attorney Claud McCrory.
Col. W. W. S.Snoddy --
He was a native of Pennsylvania. He studied law, but on first call for troops he enlisted in the 137th Penn. Vols. and served his term of enlistment. He returned home and Gov. Curtin appointed him Supt. of Schools of Clinton county. In 1864 he was elected Lieut. Col. 207th Penn. Vols. and went to war again. He settled in Sedalia, Mo., in 1866 and practiced law many years. He came to Medicine Lodge, Ks., in the early 1880s, and to Woods county at the opening and settled on a farm five miles southeast of Alva, where he still lived in 1904. Snoddy had also kept an office in Alva and practiced law and was one of the leaders in the profession.
N. A. Springer --
He was a native of Illinois. He lived in Kansas many years. He came to Woods county in the Fall of 1894, and settled at Erwin post office, near where Cherokee is now located. He conducted a general mercantile business there for 3 1/2 years, then returned to Kansas and remained until July 1901, when he came to Alva and accepted a position as deputy county clerk, which he had since held in 1904. The old settlers for miles around will never forget the kindness of Mr. Springer who was their friend when many of them almost suffered for the necessities of life.
Z. G. Boatman --
Native of Missouri. He went to western Texas in the early seventies in the cattle business, and came to the strip in 1880 and remained until a few months before the opening, when he came here and located on a farm two miles south of Alva. He and his family were at that time in practically destitute circumstances, but by hard and persistent work by 1904 they had one of the best homes in the city and were prospering. Mr. Boatman was at the head of the firm of Boatman, Jackson, Berford & Co. real estate and loan brokers.
Dr. G. N. Bilby --
Dr. Geo. N. Bilby was sworn in as the State's sixth witnesses in the Old Opera House Murder. Bilby was a native of Iowa. He lived in Alva, Woods County, Oklahoma. He graduated from the Louisville Medical college, Louisville, KY. Settled in Stroud, OK and practiced medicine since 1894. He came to Alva in 1899. He had his Doctor's office upstairs in the building on the NE corner of College Ave. & Flynn St. (where the Johnson Ins. Co. is today). Dr. Bilby married Alberta Mae Stockbarger. Their children were Afton, Paul and Lee. Dr. Bilby was an influential Democrat and represented the Woods County District at the 1906 Constitutional Convention when Oklahoma became a state in 1907. He was one of three doctors that had done the post mortem on Miss Oakes body 9 November 1910.
W. A. Chain --
He was a native of Illinois. He came to Oklahoma in 1893 and came to Alva in 1901, and became a member of the Alva Roller Mills Co., of which he is secretary and Treasurer.
F. W. Crosser --
Native of Nebraska. he came to Alva March 8, 1902, and engaged in teh real estate business. June, 1903, he formed a aprtnership with W. L. Grantham in the grocery business.
W. L. Grantham --
Native of Ohio. he came to Alva in May 1903, and engaged in the grocery business with F. W. Crosser, and had proved themselves to be up-to-date business men.
Dr. Elizabeth Grantham --
Native of Illinois, but lived some years in Nebraska. She graduated from John A. Creighton Medical College, Omaha, Neb. She came to Alva in June, 1903, and opened an office on south side of the square. Dr. Elizabeth Grantham was also the Oakes family physician and was one of the Doctors that testified in the Old Opera House Murder in 1910. Dr. Grantham had been practicing medicine for ten years. Grantham was one of three Doctors called in to do post mortem autopsy.
Dr. J. C. Herron --
Native of Indiana. He graduate of Kansas City Dental College, Kansas City, Mo. He had been in the west several years. He came to Alva in 1901 and engaged in the practice of dentistry. His office was south side of the square.
Mrs. J. C. Herron --
Native of Illinois. She came fro Kansas to Oklahoma. SHe came to Alva in 1901 and opened the Vreeland Studio, south side of the square. She was one of the leading photographers of Oklahoma.
W. L. Peters --
Native of Indian. He came to Alva in 1897 and clerked in stores until 1899. He enlisted in US Volunteers, went to Phillipines, served two years and returned to Alva in 1901. In 1904 he was stamp clerk in the postoffice.
Louis Nilson --
Native of Eisenburg, Sweden. He came to America when a child. He came to Alva, Oklahoma at the opening and got a farm five miles southeast of Alva. He sold it and came to town and engaged in the tailoring business.
S. N. Ratts --
Mr. Ratts came to Alva at the opening from Butler county, Kansas, and secured a farm four miles south of Alva. He was a persistent and energetic worker, and according to the Alva Pioneer dated January 1904, "few farmers in Oklahoma have prospered so greatly or more deservingly than he."
E. W. Chidister --
img src="http://okielegacy.org/image/EWChidister.jpg" width="40" align="left" alt="E. W. Chidister" hspace="15"> He was a native of Iowa, but raised in Kansas. He came here at the opening and attended school and was partner with his father in the harness business. Afterwards he was clerk in Alva National Bank. In 1904 he was cashier of Capron State Bank.
W. M. Bickel --
Bickel came to Alva with his parents in the fall of 1893. He attended school here. He served as deputy district clerk 1895, and afterwards was book keeper in the county treasurer's office for a year or more. In 1904 he was cashier of the Bank of Ingersoll.
J. F. Noel --
Noel was the first postmaster at Eagle chief, in the center of the county, it opened in the spring of 1894, afterwards he moved to Augusta.
Clair Pancoast --
Pancoast was Deputy clerk of the Woods county District Court.
M. A. Princehouse --
Princehouse was Station agent for the Santa Fe railroad company at Alva.
Fred Burgin --
Burgin was chief clerk in the Alva post office, which position he has held for about three years.
P. N. McKee --
He was a jeweler, at Monfort's drug store, Alva.
Prof. A. G. Vinson --
Native of Illinois. Superintendent of the Alva public
schools 1901-02 and 1903-04, was superintendent of Enid public schools 1900-01.
He was one of the first of four women and two men in the graduating class
of Northwestern Normal School, Thursday evening , June 28, 1900. He came
here in 1893 and settled on a farm 4 miles west of Alva, which he still
owned in 1904. A. G. Vinson's parents were Charles Vinson and martha Rice
Bayley. Augusta Grant Vinson was born 12 Jan. 1866;
died 27 April 1940. A. G. Vinson married Mary McKelvey McGill. Mary &
Augusta Vinson had two children: Jennie Marie Vinson, b. 19 Nov. 1891, d.
Oct. 1980, married Harry Clay Fisk 23 July 1913; Harold Augustus Vinson,
b. 16 Oct. 1909, married Dora Alice "Doe" Owen 3 July 1937. the
Board of Regents elected A.G. Vinson to the Chair of Agriculture.
Prof. A. G. Vinson was joined the Northwestern faculty in 1905, first to teach geography, geology and later mathematics. His salary in 1908 was $1,400. the Science Hall was renamed Vinson Hall in honor of A.G. Vinson. The Class of 1938 presented the school with a portrait of the beloved professor to be displayed in the building. That name remained there little more than a year, then the new dormitory for men became Vinson Hall and the older building resumed its former name, Science Hall.
Alva Pioneer 1904 LinksAgitator & Oklahoma Run
U. S. Land Office
Alva Tidbits of 1903
1904 - Early Recollections
1st Bridge & Frame Building
Oklahoma Broom Corn
Oklahoma Beats the World
Scott Cummins, Pilgrim Bard
Tenderfoot Girl in the West
In Oklahoma - Early 1900 poem
Woods Co. Schools - 1904
Alva Pioneer Staff
The Scramble for Land
Eagle Furniture Store & Undertaking
1904 Letter to Editor - John Culver
Summary - Annual Report 1903