Alva, Oklahoma Tidbits of 1903
Origin of Oklahoma -- Rev. Allen Wright, an educated Choctaw Indian, a delegate to Washington in 1866 to confer with the president on matters pertaining to the Indians, called this territory the red people's land and said that Okla in the Indian language meant red, and Homa people. For further particulars see Choctaw treaty of 1866.
The First Census of Alva -- Jesse J. Dunn had furnished The Alva Pioneer with the original list of names making up the first census ever made of the inhabitants of Alva, taken by C. T. Greever, on Sept. 25, 26 and 27, 1893. Mr. Greever's affidavit was attached to the list, that the number was 863.
First Deed of the Town -- W. F. Hatfield, got the first deed for a town lot and that deed was the first recorded in the county. Lot 3, block 50, south side of the square.
First County Conventions -- The first county conventions held in Woods County were: Populists, Aug. 11; Democrats, Aug. 18; Republicans, Sept. 4, 1894, and a total of 3593 votes were cast at the election in November.
First Daily Newspaper -- The first daily paper ever printed in Alva, was the Daily Review, published only during fair week. Sept. 16 to 22, 1895, by C. C. Hudson and R. E. Stafford, both were living in Oklahoma City, Oklahoma at the time that the 1903 Alva Pioneer put out its Souvenir Edition.
First Term of District Court -- The first term of District Court in Woods County was begun in Alva by Judge Jno. L. McAtee on Tuesday, Nov. 27, 1894. Judge A. G. C. Bierer came here on April 24 and convened court, but after examining the docket, adjourned.
First Man to File on 160A of Land -- T. L. Lindley of Medicine Lodge, Kansas, was the first man to file on a 160 acres of land, the SW/4 of 29-27-13; and C. S. Jobes was the first to file a soldier's claim, now the southeast part of town. H. C. McGrath settled on it and in the contest, he won it.
County Court House At Alva -- The building was 82 by 52 feet, two stories high, with jail in the basement. On the first floor was the County Clerk's, the Register of Deeds' and Treasurer's offices, each 19 by 31 feet, with private offices 9 by 11 feet; also the County Superintendent's office 12 by 14 feet, and the sheriff's office 19 by 19 feet. On the second floor, the District court room 31 by 50 feet and office 15 by 15, District Clerk's office 18-1/2 by 19 and private office 12 by 19; probate court room 20 by 30 feet, and County Attorney's office 10 by 15. Two jury rooms 11 by 20 in the attic, and 7 jail cells in the basement.
1903 - Gov. Ferguson's report on conditions in Oklahoma -- Population is over 650,000. There are 180,000 enrolled school children. The property valuation amounts to $400,000,000. The total amount of school land reserved for the future State of Oklahoma under the acts opening the portions to settlement aggregates 2,055,000 acres, and all is leased, and the income from same for the year 1903 will amount to $375,000, an average of over $1,000 a day. There are 2,192 school houses in Oklahoma valued at $1,347,257,150. The large amount of railway mileage completed last year was over 1,000 miles, besides 250 miles of side track. There are twenty-one cities of the first class. The total capacity of the grain elevators are 3,526,000 bushels. Per Capita deposit for people of Oklahoma in the bank is $34.
Alva Pioneer 1904 LinksAgitator & Oklahoma Run
U. S. Land Office
Alva Tidbits of 1903
1904 - Early Recollections
1st Bridge & Frame Building
Oklahoma Broom Corn
Oklahoma Beats the World
Scott Cummins, Pilgrim Bard
Tenderfoot Girl in the West
In Oklahoma - Early 1900 poem
Woods Co. Schools - 1904
Alva Pioneer Staff
The Scramble for Land
Eagle Furniture Store & Undertaking
1904 Letter to Editor - John Culver
Summary - Annual Report 1903